Medill professor awarded $1.5 million endowed chair

Medill School of Journalism Prof. Abe Peck was awarded the Theodore R. and Annie Laurie Sills Professorship earlier this month, Medill’s second endowed chair in its 80-year history.

The first, the James C. Knight Chair for Broadcast Journalism, was awarded to Dean Ken Bode in Winter Quarter.

Peck said he was grateful to receive the position and pleased that Medill was getting the recognition it deserved in the form of the two chaired positions.

“I’m honored to be one of the people to get us off the ground as far as chairs go,” he said. “Medill has been underchaired forever. For a school as good as Medill, it’s always been a glaring omission.”

Peck said the endowed position also will help Medill by freeing up some money in its budget. The $1.5 million endowment will pay for a research stipend and part or all of his salary, allowing Medill to use his paycheck in other areas.

Peck said he will maintain his current teaching schedule next year, but he also wants to begin work on another book.

Medill Prof. David Abrahamson said he thinks Peck is up to the multiple tasks he’s set for himself.

“Abe is the original multi-tasker,” Abrahamson said. “If anybody can keep multiple balls in motion at the same time, it’s him.”

Peck said getting the chair reminded him of a time about 10 years ago when he ripped his pants on faulty furniture. With the money Medill will save on Peck’s salary, they can afford to buy plenty of new chairs.

“I got a new chair to sit on; now I have a chair to sit in,” he said.

Medill Prof. Donna Leff, who has worked with Peck for about 20 years, said he is well liked and respected throughout the university and Medill.

“I totally love him, and I’m totally thrilled he got the position,” Leff said. “It’s a much-deserved recognition and, hopefully, it will make him have an even longer and more productive career at Northwestern.”

The chairman of Medill’s magazine program, Peck created an opportunity for graduate students to produce magazine prototypes. He also has written a book, “Uncovering the ’60s: The Life and Times of the Underground Press,” and has contributed to many magazines, including Rolling Stone.

“It’s hard to imagine any colleagues at Medill who have made a more substantive contribution to the quality of the institution,” Abrahamson said.

Peck, who was a finalist in the Medill dean search earlier this year, said the recognition of being chair was almost commensurate with being named dean.

“If I’m not going to be management, it’s nice to be recognized as labor,” he said.