Students turn out to retake the night

About 1,000 Northwestern students marched across campus Thursday to promote sexual assault awareness and prevention at the 13th annual Take Back the Night.

Beki Park, president of the Women’s Coalition, said attendance has increased steadily since the event came to NU in 1988.

“It’s about breaking the silence, taking a stand and giving survivors of sexual assault a voice,” said Park, a Weinberg junior.

Sexual assault counselors and student volunteers wore bandannas showing they were “safe” individuals who could help traumatized students, said co-Chairwoman Maria Steingoltz.

“If at anytime you feel uncomfortable or you need to talk about your experiences, they’ll point you to someone to help you,” she told students.

Steingoltz read preliminary results from the first safety survey sponsored by Women’s Co and the Office of Student Affairs: 87 percent students reported feeling safe while on campus, 94 percent felt safe in university housing and 63 percent feel NU cares about safety. But only 22 percent said they felt safe walking in Evanston and believed that the campus is adequately lit.

Michelle Dewlen, president of the Chicago Chapter of the National Organization of Women, gave national statistics about sexual assault. Dewlen said one-sixth of adult U.S. women and one in 33 adult males have been sexual assaulted.

Dewlen also mentioned a recent article in the Chicago Tribune where NU reported having no assaults.

“According to Northwestern, rape doesn’t happen on this campus,” Dewlen said. “I don’t believe Northwestern is a virtually rape-free campus. I don’t think rapes are reported.”

Speaking at The Rock, Speech senior Ginger Harreld, who was sexually assaulted her freshman year, said she has wanted to share her experience for the last three years, but wasn’t ready until now.

McCormick senior Jessica Tooredman said it was hard listening to Harreld because they know each other.

“It makes you feel like you’re doing this for a purpose, not just randomly gathering,” Tooredman said.

University Police posted two officers at The Rock and throughout the march to make sure “that when the marchers do walk no one gets hurt or bothered by people on the street,” said Sgt. Dave Perkins.

The only disruption of the night occurred when Steingoltz said sarcastically, “Who supports sexual assault?” and a male audience member shouted, “I do.”

After the candlelight rally at the Rock, students walked through the Sorority and Fraternity Quads up to the Technological Institute, where Ami Trosley, a Sociology Department employee, spoke about being sexually assaulted and advised people to be careful about questions they ask survivors.

“When I began to tell people, I began to wish I kept my mouth shut,” she said.

After Trosley, a student who identified herself as Noreen spoke about being raped at an off-campus party.

“When you’re silent you perpetuate the cycle,” she said. “I hope that in sharing my story I can give you the courage to take care of your minds and bodies.”

Weinberg senior Sima Patel concluded the student speakers, recounting her sexual assault at gun point during a break-in at her home when she was in eighth grade.

“Even though time heals, it does not forget,” Patel said. “I will always be a rape survivor.”

Patel now volunteers with the Chicago Rape Victim Advocates, this year’s Take Back the Night beneficiary, which will receive money from T-shirt sales and donations. The group offers free counseling and advocacy for sexual assault survivors at 17 Chicago emergency rooms.

The marchers walked from Tech to Norris University Center for an open-mic session in the Gathering Place where students recounted their assaults.

Park said she was pleased some males attended Take Back the Night.

Park said men walk alongside women at NU’s event, unlike at other universities where men march behind women.

“It’s a joint effort,” Park said. “This issue affects everyone.”

Medill senior Bill Chapin has marched at Take Back the Night for three years.

“A lot of the guys on this campus say they are against sexual assault,” Chapin said. “If you are against it, you should do your part and be out here.”