Day at NU to welcome curious prospies

As the May 1 college enrollment decision deadline looms, time is running out for admitted high school students unsure of where to go to school.

Northwestern will make its final collective rally to show undecided students the benefits of the university on Sunday during Day at NU, an annual two-day recruitment program coordinated by the Office of Undergraduate Admission.

Leila Malekzadeh, assistant director of admissions and coordinator for Day at NU, said about 800 students will attend this year and that 600 of them will stay overnight Sunday in dormitories. Overall, about 1,640 people – including students and their families – will pass through NU’s campus for the event.

“The purpose of Day at NU is to allow admitted students to visit the university one more time before making their admissions decisions,” Malekzadeh said. “At the core, it’s just another opportunity that the university has to talk and cater to admitted students.”

Malekzadeh coordinates the planning teams, which are composed of university staff and more than 300 student volunteers.

“We put a lot of effort into Day at NU because it’s the largest on-campus program the undergraduate admission office has all year,” she said.

Tuesday and Wednesday night, the Student Admission Council held a phone-a-thon, calling more than 1,000 prospective students to kick-off the week preceding Day at NU, said Jennifer Freedman, Student Admission Council co-chairwoman for Day at NU. The phone-a-thon was designed to encourage students to attend NU.

The program will begin Sunday with welcome addresses by Provost Lawrence Dumas and Associate Provost for Undergraduate Education Stephen Fisher. Malekzadeh said the guests will be divided into two sections to accommodate the group’s large size.

During the day on Sunday, the six undergraduate schools will offer academic forums for admitted students to answer questions, she said. Visitors will also have the opportunity to take campus tours and attend various welcome receptions.

Parents can attend two financial aid sessions on Sunday and visit the Financial Aid office on Monday from 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.

Malekzadeh said one of Day at NU’s most important events is the connection program, where groups of 10 admitted students are paired up with NU undergraduates from their school to discuss NU and have dinner.

“It’s the prospies’ first chance to talk to students here without their parents,” she said.

Sunday night will focus on entertainment for the prospective students, Malekzadeh said. There will be a variety show from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. at Ryan Auditorium featuring a step show and performances by Melodius Thunk, Significant Others and Graffiti Dancers.

After the performance, A&O Productions will present the film “Best in Show” in McCormick Auditorium at Norris University Center.

NU’s Health Aides will serve non-alcoholic concoctions at a prospie “Mocktail” Bar from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. at the Sports Pavilion and Aquatic Center.

Following the Health Aide bash, the Interfraternity Council and Panhellenic Association will co-sponsor a tailgate at the same locale from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m.

On Monday, students will have the option of attending classes, open houses and information sessions on internships, Greek life, the Honors Program on Medical Education, athletics and recreation and the Naval ROTC.

After weeks of planning, Malekzadeh said she hopes the program runs smoothly.

“My personal goal is to make it through without having an aneurism,” she said.