ASG fails Heinz’s proposal for more cross-group programming

The Associated Student Government defeated by two votes Wednesday a resolution that called for encouraging multiple-group programming among student groups – legislation that Executive Vice President Jordan Heinz has been working on for months and that many student group leaders said they support.

The resolution, which needed 40 votes to pass, received only 38. Eleven senators voted against the legislation and seven abstained.

Calling for student groups to co-endorse each other’s programming, the legislation aimed to unify Northwestern by promoting the idea of a more diverse cross-section of students at events, Heinz said.

Willard Sen. Adam Harris, who spoke against the resolution, said he agreed with the legislation’s intent but had problems with its “weak action.”

“The idea for multiple-group programming is great, but it needs a stronger plan of action on how we would implement it,” said Harris, a Weinberg freshman. “There is a perception on campus that all ASG does is talk and debate. We need to send a message that we should stop passing legislation that doesn’t do anything.”

But Heinz, who is running for ASG president in this week’s elections, said the issue of multiple-group programming is not “dead” on campus.

“The idea was good, but it needs to be toyed with and I will continue to work on that,” he said. “The purpose was to raise awareness of multiple-group programming and the vast majority of NU has voiced that this is an important initiative.”

Heinz also said he disagreed that the resolution had weak action, calling it “one of the pieces of legislation we’ve had this year that could have changed NU the most.”

The leaders of Greek organizations, which would have been encouraged to co-endorse student group events if the resolution passed, said they still think the multiple-group programming has merit.

Panhellenic Association President Peggy Yu said she hopes Heinz continues to work on the proposal.

“The idea to unite organizations and have them bounce ideas off each other is conceptually great,” said Yu, a Speech junior. “Leaders of organizations are already coming together at dinners and getting to know each other. I hope Jordan can work out the kinks and get ASG support.”

Also at the meeting, senators formed an ad hoc committee to plan events for Martin Luther King Jr. Day. The committee shows a monetary commitment from the student body in support of MLK Day events, said ASG President Adam Humann.

“This is the best way to show that ASG does care about Dr. King,” said Humann, a Weinberg senior. “It allows more members of the community to be involved in planning events.”

In addition, Senate passed a bill calling for students to participate in an online referendum asking their opinions on Evanston’s Fair Share proposal.

College Democrats Sen. Fred Noyes said the referendum, which will be sent in an e-mail link to students along with the ballot for ASG runoff elections next Thursday, would list three choices. Students could vote to support having NU give Evanston annual financial aid, encourage NU to form a joint cooperative venture with the city or tell Evanston to stand on its own.

“I want students to support the second option of a cooperative venture with the city, because that is the only way aldermen will change their request of having NU contribute each year,” said Noyes, a Weinberg junior. “I can’t guarantee that we will be listened to, but I can guarantee that we definitely won’t be listened to without this referendum.”