Jean-Baptiste wins in landslide

Evanston attorney Lionel Jean-Baptiste won a landslide victory against challenger Betty Sue Ester for Second Ward alderman on Tuesday, winning the seat held for 17 years by retiring Ald. Dennis Drummer.

Jean-Baptiste won 84 percent of the ward’s 940 votes, defeating Ester, who got 14 percent.

The new alderman told a room of campaign volunteers that “we’ve got work to do” in giving residents more of a voice on the Evanston City Council.

“I cannot say to people I wave a magic wand and make changes by myself,” he said. “But I let everyone know that, unlike (former Vice President Al) Gore, I really am my own man.”

Jean-Baptiste’s election is not likely to bring drastic changes to the council. He supports asking Northwestern to make more of a financial contribution to the city, making street repairs and balancing the city budget.

Jean-Baptiste replaces incumbent Ald. Dennis Drummer, who served on the City Council for 17 years before announcing in January his decision not to seek re-election.

“People have said, ‘Well, you have a big pair of shoes to step into,'” said Jean-Baptiste, who attended Evanston Township High School and graduated from Princeton University. “Well, this morning when I stopped by (Drummer’s) shop, I looked at his shoes. I think we’re about the same size.”

Drummer, who visited Jean-Baptiste’s campaign headquarters Tuesday, told the newly elected alderman that his victory came as “no real surprise.”

“I feel great,” said Drummer, who supported Jean-Baptiste’s campaign and encouraged him to run last year. “This is his evening. The voters have spoken loud and clear.”

On election night Jean-Baptiste’s family, friends and campaign staff gathered in his law office, 1900 Asbury St., to watch the returns come in and celebrate his victory.

Herb Ziegeldorf, a volunteer for Jean-Baptiste’s campaign, said he woke up at 3:30 a.m. Tuesday to help with the get-out-the-vote effort.

“I’m utterly amazed,” he said. “Both candidates have the values. Lionel adds a certain skillfulness and confidence to the race.”

As precincts reported results, campaign volunteers drank champagne, passed out cigars and began to celebrate.

With one precinct left at about 8 p.m., it became clear that Jean-Baptiste would beat Ester in a landslide.

“She’s gone. She’s bye-bye,” said campaign volunteer Corrine Scott.

Ester spent election night at Evanston Northwestern Healthcare watching the birth of her fourth grandchild.

Despite the overwhelming defeat, Ester said she has no regrets about running and that she will continue to pressure Evanston’s aldermen to keep voters better informed of the city’s plans.