Boston mayor shares strategies, opinions

Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino spoke about his mayoral experiences, speculated as to who will be president in four years and shared his problems with the press during an address Monday afternoon.

Menino offered his opinions on a variety of subjects with a group of about 60 students and community members at Fisk Hall as part of Medill’s Crain Lecture Series.

“Mayors today are more like CEOs,” Menino said. “A lot of elected officials forget where they came from.”

Menino said he tries to take a different approach by providing safe housing, education and clean streets for the people of Boston.

“It’s all part of making sure you’re in touch with people,” he said. “I think mayors have the toughest job in America.”

After that comment Medill Dean Ken Bode joked, “I don’t want a commercial about how mayors work so hard.”

Bode also quizzed Menino about his perspective on current politics. Today people “vote more for the person than for the party,” Menino said.

In the previous presidential election, Menino supported then-Vice President Al Gore over Gore’s opponent, former Sen. Bill Bradley, for the Democratic nomination.

He developed a relationship with Gore while working with him on crime issues during the Clinton years. Gore ran a poor campaign but would have made a great president, Menino said.

While praising some of his policies, Menino expressed harsh criticism of President George W. Bush.

“I haven’t heard the word ‘housing’ yet,” Menino said regarding Bush’s policies.

Under past administrations, Boston has received the resources to build homes for low-income families, but Bush hasn’t shown as much interest in developing cities, Menino said.

Instead, Menino complained that the only policy he has heard about is Bush’s proposed tax cut.

Bode also asked Menino to speculate on candidates for the 2004 presidential election.

Menino said he does not know who the presidential candidates might be. He said he believes a woman will be among those in the running, but he said that woman would not be Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.).

Finally, Menino said one of the problems with being in politics today is that “the press is too into peoples’ lives.” Those in the private sector don’t have to deal with the intrusiveness of the press, he said.

Menino said he even shows the press his taxes in an attempt to avoid having problems with them.

When he leaves politics, Menino said he would probably work for a non-profit organization that helps children.

But currently Menino retains an 85% approval rating in Boston and “is so popular no one runs against him,” Bode said.