ADPi officially initiated into NU’s Greek system

After a year of working toward the goal, Alpha Delta Pi became a formal member of the Northwestern Greek system this weekend.

The international organization of ADPi granted a charter Saturday to Northwestern’s new chapter. The sorority celebrated with a banquet and open house Friday night and a ceremony Saturday night.

“It’s a really special opportunity, to start something new together,” said Leigh Jansson, a Speech junior and member of ADPi.

Another chapter of ADPi existed at NU between 1945 and 1973. Chris Dickey, international president, said the sorority is “very happy” to renew its ties to NU.

“This is a dream come true for us,” Dickey said.

The chapter received its charter in a ceremony Saturday night at the Northbrook Hilton. Keynote speaker Dr. Tom Goodale, executive director of Sigma Alpha Epsilon, spoke about what “fraternity” really means. He mentioned the ability of a group to achieve things together – something the women of ADPi have learned about while trying to recolonize at NU during the past year.

Team work was an essential part of bringing the sorority to NU. Greek systems are not always accommodating to new groups, but the sororities and fraternities at NU were very welcoming, Dickey said.

“They’re very talented women,” Dickey said.

During a visit to campus for Winter Rush, Dickey said, she noticed a close sisterhood and a quick understanding of “what a sorority is about” among the 50 women of ADPi.

Associate Director of Greek Affairs Steve Dealph said he is impressed with the progress of ADPi and their patience in gathering a pledge class.

“I think they’ve done an incredible job,” he said.

Alumna Dot Vartan, who will oversee the NU chapter, said the chapter consists of people who want to start something and leave their mark upon it. Local alumnae are excited to have a place to gather, Vartan said, because there are no other chapters in the Chicago area.

“This chapter will have a lot of support,” she said.

Before the Saturday ceremony, the new chapter held an open house in the basement of Levere Memorial Temple Friday night. The gathering included 26 international officers, NU administrators, the heads of NU’s Panhellenic Association, Interfraternity Council and National Pan-Hellenic Council, fraternity and sorority presidents and other ADPi alumnae.

The gathering rooms echoed with the chatter of excited women, all wearing business attire and wide grins.

“I’m super-excited,” said Laura Parkhurst, a Music sophomore. She added that the weekend represented a culmination of hard work and an incredible sense of purpose.

Nicole Rae Reitz, a McCormick sophomore and former president of ADPi, said she was drawn to the sorority by its leadership roles, ideals and goals.

“I found a bunch of girls that are now my best friends,” Reitz said. “We’re already sisters.”

President Julie Shin said the sorority will become an enduring and active part of the Greek system.

“We’re honored and proud to be a part of the Greek community,” said Shin, a Weinberg sophomore.