NU’s Latina sorority celebrates its first anniversary

A year after the Latina sorority Sigma Lambda Gamma was founded at Northwestern, members are ready to make their official campus debut.

“We’re a well-organized, enthusiastic organization, and we’re eager to be involved with the Northwestern community and work with other groups,” said member Bobbie Rivelli, an Education sophomore.

This week, the nine women of SLG are celebrating Founder’s Week with five days of activities open to the entire campus. The Tau Alpha chapter of SLG, NU’s first Latina-based Greek organization, was founded in February 2000 and gained recognition in October.

Tonight, SLG hosts a Pan-American Festival of ethnic food at the Multicultural Center. Members will showcase food, flags and music from Bolivia, Colombia, Cuba, Mexico and Puerto Rico.

“Even though we’re a pretty small group, there’s a variety of cultures that we represent,” said member Rosalinda Alvarado. “We just want (people) to know we’re very diverse.”

Each event this week is based on one of SLG’s five principles: academics, community service, cultural awareness, morals and ethics, and social interaction. On Monday, SLG sponsored a presentation by INROADS, an organization that works with corporations to provide internships for minority college students. As its weekly community service activity, SLG held a book drive Tuesday to benefit Connections for the Homeless in Evanston.

Other events are a fireside on sexual violence, which will be Thursday at the Multicultural Center, and a Founder’s Day party Friday night at Sargent Hall. Members say the week is designed not to recruit new members but to showcase the founding principles and purpose of SLG.

“We’re here and want to make positive contributions on campus, and we’re totally all-inclusive,” said Alvarado, a Weinberg senior.

SLG’s next major event will be hosting a national conference in April. Regular activities include biweekly chapter meetings at the Multicultural Center and weekly community service events, such as volunteering at the Boys and Girls Club of Chicago and tutoring international graduate students.

“I am learning a lot,” said Rivelli, who joined SLG in December. “I’ve found a sense of community at Northwestern with a group of girls who are my friends.”

President Michelle Noda, a Weinberg junior, said she has been pleased with the campus response since the sorority was founded. She said she hopes the ethnic food night and closing party will be fun ways for people to become acquainted with SLG, which was started as a support network for women.

“We’ve gotten a lot of positive feedback and support,” said Noda. “Everything seems to be looking better as the future goes on.”