Student charged with having pot moves off campus, roommate says

A Northwestern student arrested and charged with keeping more than 30 grams of marijuana in his Allison Hall room moved off campus Saturday, the student’s former roommate said.

Weinberg sophomore Abe Gordon, who was arrested in late January and charged with possession of cannabis, was asked to leave Allison, Weinberg sophomore Raja Gaddipati said Wednesday.

Director of Residential Life Gregg Kindle declined to comment on Gordon’s situation but said that keeping drugs in a dorm room is “against the law, so it’s a violation of university rules and regulations as well.” Kindle said NU does not have hard and fast sanctions or guidelines directing decisions about on-campus drug incidents.

“Every discipline case is heard on a case-by-case basis,” Kindle said.

University Police and Facilities Management arrived at Gordon’s Allison Hall room at 3 p.m. on Jan. 23 after a resident assistant reported the smell of smoke in the hall and the sound of a fire alarm in the room. Police then knocked on Gordon’s door. When no one answered, authorities unlocked the door and entered.

No one was in the room, but there was a smoldering plastic container in the garbage can, said Lt. Shaun Johnson of UP. While investigating the area for a possible cause of the fire, police found two plastic bags containing a green, leafy substance that later tested positive as cannabis, Johnson said.

Gordon is the second student this year to leave campus housing after being arrested and charged with keeping drugs in a dorm room. Weinberg sophomore Marc Wood, 20, was arrested in October and charged with keeping three ecstasy pills in his Bobb Hall room.

Gordon appeared Feb. 8 at Circuit Court in Skokie. A judge postponed Gordon’s pretrial hearing until April.

Gordon declined to comment on the case. He is scheduled to reappear April 18 at Circuit Court.