NU student’s trial on drug charge postponed until April

The pretrial hearing of a Northwestern student who was arrested in January and charged with keeping more than 30 grams of marijuana in his dorm room was postponed until April because the state’s analysis of the confiscated drugs has not yet been completed.

Abe Brandon Gordon, 19, of Allison Hall was arrested Jan. 23 and charged with possession of cannabis, a class IV felony, said Lt. Shaun Johnson of University Police.

UP Detective Ron Godby said the drugs have not yet returned from the state’s crime lab because the lab “tends to run kind of slow.”

Judge Nancy Sidote Salyers did grant a pretrial request from Gordon’s lawyer that will allow Gordon to leave the court’s jurisdiction area and visit friends in London during Spring Break.

Gordon declined to comment on the case.

He is scheduled to appear April 18 at Circuit Court in Skokie.

Secret’s out on movie being filmed on Darrow Avenue

The lid is off about the movie production in Evanston.

According to Kathy Byrne of the Chicago Film Office, actors Jennifer Tilly and David Straithorn currently are filming “Ball in the House” in a home at Darrow Avenue at Church Street. The movie is being produced by Ira Deutchman, Speech ’75.

Tilly has appeared in 56 films, including “Liar Liar,” “Bound” and “The Fabulous Baker Boys.”

Straithairn has appeared in 57 films, including “L.A. Confidential,” “A League of Their Own,” “The Firm” and “Simon Birch.”

Deutchman,who majored in film at Northwestern, is chief executive officer of Studionext, a digital media solutions company based in New York.

Deutchman, as former senior vice president of New Line Cinema, acquired and released films such as Robert Altman’s “The Player” and “Hoop Dreams,” as well as films directed by Gus Van Sant, Jim Jarmusch and Roman Polanski.

He has served as executive producer of films directed by Gary Sinise and Jonathan Demme.