Athens on the Lake’

There were a lot of class clowns at Northwestern in the early 1900s.

From 1908 to 1932, NU organized and hosted a circus, complete with elephants and trapeze artists who hung from the rafters of Patten Gym.

On Tuesday, more than 200 interested residents celebrated photos of the circus and other artifacts from NU’s past at a reception for “Evanston and Northwestern: Athens on the Lake,” an exhibit at the Evanston Historical Society, 225 Greenwood St.

The collection, which opened Nov. 30, highlights little-known aspects of the often strained 150-year relationship between NU and Evanston.

“Not enough people understand that without Northwestern, Evanston wouldn’t be here,” said Lee Cabot, director of the Evanston Historical Society.

NU’s Sesquicentennial Office coordinated the exhibit in conjunction with the Evanston Historical Society.

Virginia Koch, assistant director of the Sesquicentennial Office, said organizers chose 35 artifacts and made arrangements with the owners to display them.

Among the exhibitors are the Evanston Historical Society, Frances Willard House Association, University Archives and the Mitchell Museum of the American Indian at Kendall College. The artifacts date from about 1850 to 1930.

Some attendees said they were impressed with the exhibit’s variety of items, which range from Frances Willard’s diploma to a medal for the tug-of-war, a varsity sport at NU in 1887.

“I think the exhibit is pretty darn nice,” said Kimberly Smith Gnat, senior designer for the Office of University Relations. “I like the authentic street lamp and the tug-of-war medal.”

Other attendees praised the often symbiotic relationship between town and gown.

“I like that it definitely takes the history of the university and the city and shows that they both facilitated the development of each other,” said Veronica Leljedal, an NU alumna and volunteer for the historical society.

After gathering all of the photos and artifacts to be included, NU commissioned Chicago designer Steve Lencioni to create the exhibit.

The “Athens on the Lake” title originates from a nickname given to Evanston in the mid-1800s, said Sesquicentennial Office Director Monica Metzler.

During the reception, University President Henry Bienen praised the hard work of those who created the exhibit and the sesquicentennial.

“(The Sesquicentennial) has been a wonderful time to celebrate the history of the university and its relations with the city of Evanston,” Bienen said.

Organizers of the exhibit said they were pleased with attendance at the reception.

“There was a great turnout,” Koch said. “From what I understand, there were a lot of positive comments about the exhibit.”

“Northwestern and Evanston: Athens on the Lake” is open to the public Thursday through Sunday until June 8.