Recent NU grad remembered for humility, goodness

After Kameron Flynn graduated from Northwestern in June, he returned to Jones Fine and Performing Arts Residential College almost every night to visit his longtime friends.

Often he would volunteer to drive the group to a diner, where they would talk until 3 a.m. Flynn never made his friends return earlier, even though he had work the next morning.

That willingness to help his friends summed up what Flynn meant to Allegra Berliner, Jones’ president.

“He was just the most humble person,” said Berliner, a Weinberg junior. “He’d do whatever he needed to do to make people happy.”

Flynn, 22, died from injuries received in a car accident Dec. 24 in Suffern, N.Y., while he was visiting his family for the holidays.

Flynn lived in Evanston and worked as a computer programmer and Web developer at SurePayroll.com in Skokie.

While at NU, he lived at Jones for four years and had a job providing technical support to the Kellogg Graduate School of Management.

Amanda Moates, a Weinberg senior, met Flynn at Jones four years ago. She said she appreciated that he was a great listener and was never judgmental.

“He’s really unique,” she said. “It took a long time to get to know him. That’s why our friendship was so special.

“They were saying that some people live their whole lives and don’t have the amount of goodness that he did in his 22 (years),” she said. “The number of people that he touched in the time that he was here is more than most people do in their whole lives.”

Ryan Battista, Flynn’s roommate during their freshman year, said Flynn motivated him to be more focused and dedicated. Battista, a McCormick senior, said Flynn often would set goals for himself – such as dieting, learning to cook, improving at photography – and he usually met those goals.

As a result, Flynn changed a lot since the two first met, Battista said.

“He was very successful – I think he had a bright future ahead of him,” he said. “But he was the same Kammy with the same sense of humor.”

A material sciences and engineering major, Flynn worked as a lab assistant during his junior and senior years.

“He was a great guy – he was a good, hard worker and a helpful worker,” said Prof. D. Lynn Johnson, who employed Flynn in his ceramics lab.

Flynn also worked as a photographer and editor for The Daily and was the photography editor for Syllabus.

One of his favorite photographs was a shot of the notorious 15-foot snow phallus erected in February by Jones residents. The photo was featured on Playboy magazine’s Web site.

“He was so multitalented and self-motivated,” said Sean Morse, a friend and former Jones president. “And he was a big proponent of the snow phallus.”

Morse, a fifth-year Music student, said he plans to dedicate this year’s snow phallus to Flynn when construction begins “in a couple of weeks.”

Jones residents also are dedicating a plaque in the dorm’s dark room to Flynn, who had worked to improve the facility. Berliner said the dorm will put together an exhibition of his work.

Residents of the dorm also are planning a memorial service for Flynn.

Flynn is survived by his mother, Charla, and his sister, Lauren. He is preceded in death by his father, Patrick.