Gophers’ Redmon runs into trouble

Minnesota has been perhaps the sneakiest team in the Big Ten this season, posting its second straight win last week against Penn State.

But Golden Gophers running back Tellis Redmon apparently wasn’t quite so discrete after Saturday’s win. He spent time in jail that night after being cited for a traffic violation, the Associated Press reported.

Police stopped Redmon at about 10 p.m. Saturday after seeing a television playing in the car.

They discovered that Redmon had had his driver’s license revoked and that he had outstanding warrants.

All of Redmon’s offenses are misdemeanors, but they potentially could affect his season. The tailback’s court date is slotted for Friday, the day his team will travel to Columbus, Ohio, to face the undefeated Buckeyes.

Still, Minnesota head coach Glen Mason doesn’t see his running back’s legal troubles changing the Gophers’ lineup on the field.

“I anticipate Tellis Redmon playing (this weekend),” Mason said.

Mason has declined to comment on Redmon’s arrest itself.

The tailback took over for freshman Thomas Tapeh in Minnesota’s blowout win against Illinois two weeks ago.

Redmon has 117 carries for 530 yards and four touchdowns in six games for the Gophers this year.

HAWK-HIGH: After ending the nation’s second-longest losing streak at 13 Saturday, folks around Iowa City, Iowa, finally had reason to smile a little.

The Hawkeyes scored perhaps the biggest upset of the Big Ten season with its 21-16 triumph over Michigan State.

The Hawkeyes had been blown out by Kansas State and Nebraska; had hung tight with Iowa State and Indiana; and had the audacity to lose to Western Michigan before besting the Spartans.

“We’re obviously a little happier this week than we have been the last couple,” Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz said after his team’s first win since a 24-0 victory over Northern Illinois on Sept. 18, 1999. “I was just pleased with our football team.

“Our kids have hung tough and they’ve played hard in each and every game we’ve played this year. That paid off this week because they hung together and we made some plays when we had to.”

The loss also avenged a 49-3 thumping in East Lansing, Mich., last season. Iowa will now try and win its second straight game, against Illinois on the road.

But no matter what happens this weekend, Iowa is off the schneid, which is music to Ferentz’s ears.

“We made the plays we had to make,” he said. “We’re a little stoked up.”

WALLER SHELVED: As if the Fighting Illini didn’t have enough to deal with after its 44-10 loss in Minneapolis two weeks ago, they now have to adjust to the loss of senior cornerback Trayvon Waller.

Waller broke an ankle midway through the loss to the Gophers, ending his season and forcing junior Anthony Hurd into action.

“Anthony Hurd will continue to be the starter.” Illini coach Ron Turner said. “We really don’t have to make too many adjustments. It’s just a matter of a different guy going in there.”

On the season Waller had 23 tackles, a sack and an interception, part of an Illinois pass defense that has given up 185.8 yards per game, third-best in the conference and 36th in the country.

Still, Turner said his team has little choice but to move on and make do with the personnel they have.

“Anthony’s going in and we’re going to ask Anthony to do pretty much the same thing we asked Trayvon to do,” he said. “We feel confident that Anthony can do it.”