No bull: Cops find cow at Fiji

The cow’s come home – and all that’s left of it is the head and udders.

Two Northwestern students face felony charges after University Policefound the mutilated Moo@NU cow – stolen in May from Norris UniversityCenter – in a room at Phi Gamma Delta, police said.

Weinberg junior Boris Labinov, 20, of 2331 Sheridan Road, and Weinbergjunior Nicholas Hughes, 21, of 2331 Sheridan Road, were arrested andcharged with theft in connection with the incident, said Lt. Glenn Turnerof University Police.

Labinov and Hughes appeared June 7 at Circuit Court in Skokie. Once thecriminal charges have been settled, the university will decide how to dealwith charges of its own, said Peggy Barr, vice president for studentaffairs.

The discovery of Moo@NU played like the artistic offspring of AgathaChristie and Gary Larson:

Officers tracked down the life-sized fiberglass cow – a gift presented toNorris April 26 in the name of the Northwestern Institute for Learning inRetirement – on May 26 after receiving an anonymous tip. Around 3:30 a.m.,an hour after the Fiji Island party had ended, officers arrived at thehouse and searched the rooms, said Fiji Recording Secretary Jeff Blankman,a Speech sophomore and a Summer Northwestern staffer.

On the fifth floor, police were set to leave a room when they decided totake a second look in the closet. There, under a pile of boxes, were thehead and udders of Moo@NU. Labinov and Hughes later admitted their guilt toSteve Dealph, director of Greek affairs.