Big Ten Softball Capsules

No. 1 Iowa (42-12, 14-4 Big Ten)

The Hawkeyes locked up the top seed and the right to host the tournament with a win on the last day of the season against NU. No. 15 Iowa depends on the dominant pitching of 20-game winners Kristi Hanks and Kelly Zeilstra. Together they posted a team ERA of 1.09, tied for the lowest in the Big Ten.

No. 2 Michigan (40-13-1, 13-4)

No. 14 Michigan won the regular season title last year only to lose to Minnesota in the Big Ten tournament. Junior hurler Marie Barda will be depended on to shut down the opposition.

No. 3 Penn State (34-15, 12-5)

Penn State leads the Big Ten in hitting with a .295 batting average.The Nittany Lions also play an aggressive game on the basepaths that gives opponents headaches. Gina Bianchini and Karen Gulini are first and fourth in the league in stolen bases, and Gulini finished the year hitting .397.

No. 4 Northwestern (26-22, 12-6)

The Wildcats played their toughest this season against the best teams, sporting a 4-2 record against Iowa, Michigan and Penn State. NU hit well in the clutch all season, thanks to a late-season power surge led by sophomore Erin Jancic and junior Brooke Siebel. Coach Sharon Drysdale will need key hits and great pitching from freshmen Lauren Schwendimann and Brie Brown to have a shot against the top teams.

No. 5 Wisconsin (34-23, 9-6)

Freshman Andrea Kirchberg has carried the load for the Badgers all year and will have to continue to do so this weekend. She will start against NU today in the second game of the tournament and will likely pitch in nearly every game the Badgers play. Kirchberg’s 0.92 ERA and league-leading 289 strikeouts have helped her earn the distinction of Big Ten Pitcher of the Week for the last two weeks.

No. 6 Purdue (33-26, 6-10)

The Boilermakers backed into this year’s tournament, losing the last game of the season to conference doormat Indiana. Sophomore Meagan Dooley, with a 0.63 ERA and 11 complete games on the year, will give Purdue a chance against any team in the tournament.