Tommy Craggs named editor of Summer Northwestern

Medill junior Tommy Craggs was named editor in chief of The Summer Northwestern on Wednesday by the Students Publishing Company board.

“We chose him because of his good ideas for the summer paper,” said Mary Dedinsky, chairwoman of the SPC Board. “We believe that he will produce interesting stories that will appeal to the summer audience, and produce a terrific freshman edition.”

The Summer Northwestern is a weekly newsmagazine published eight times during the summer. The paper also publishes the Freshman Guide, which is mailed to all incoming freshmen.

Craggs ran against Jada Black, a Medill freshman.

Currently The Daily’s managing editor, Craggs has worked at The Daily since his freshman year. He covered wrestling and football for the sports desk before becoming sports editor during Spring Quarter 1999.

Dedinsky, a Medill professor, said Craggs’ experience made him an ideal candidate for the position.

“He knows the business, he knows the paper, and he’s already recruiting staff,” she said. “We’re quite confident that he’ll do a great job.”

Craggs said he wanted to provide readers with in-depth coverage of news and events.

“I want to make the summer paper an enjoyable read that puts day-to-day news in a broader context,” he said. “And I don’t want the papers to spend the week in the distribution bins.”

Current Daily Editor in Chief Matt Palmquist said Craggs was a great choice for editor.

“Tommy’s probably the most well-rounded person in the newsroom,” said Palmquist, a Medill junior.