Religion and homosexuality to be addressed in NU series

The University Chaplain’s office will host a five-week series of discussions about homosexuality in the Bible starting at 7:30 p.m. today in Parkes Hall 204.

Chaplaincy Associate Greg Lawton said the series, “Claiming the Promise,” will focus on Bible passages showing that everyone has a place in the church regardless of sexual orientation.

“I’m a Methodist, and with homosexuality there’s a lot of debate about how they should be treated by the church,” Lawton said. “It’s always an issue, especially on campuses. And it seemed to be timely. I’ve had quite a bit of correspondence from students already, so I know there’s interest.”

Lawton will lead discussions during the weekly series, but he said he wants students to be open and discuss their own experiences.

He said other pastors, including University Chaplain Timothy Stevens, will lead the conversations some weeks.

Stevens also said he has heard from students who are interested in attending the series and discussing the issue.

“It’s a huge issue,” said Tim Tasker, a member of the Bisexual, Gay and Lesbian Alliance. “If you live in America and you’re a sexual minority, you deal with, on a daily basis, the issue of religion and your sexuality. Any program that bridges the gap between those groups and emphasizes communication is amazing.”

He said there has been a stereotype that gays and lesbians have to shun organized religion.

“That perception is really dying away though,” said Tasker, a Weinberg junior. “Everyone lives in contradiction, so it’s basically how can you balance both in your life.”

The series corresponds with a luncheon focusing on the needs of gay and lesbian students at 1 p.m. Friday at Norris University Center, when Residential Life coordinators Kelly Carter and Kiersten Elliott will speak.