Laura Ellis wins student services VP

Before she was elected ASG student services vice president Tuesday, uncontested candidate Laura Ellis said she was nervous that she wouldn’t have enough of a mandate to push her agenda.

Then she won 69.5 percent of the vote.

“That’s pretty positive,” said Ellis, a Weinberg sophomore. “That’s a pretty high percentage because uncontested races are the most popular to write in. I’m pretty happy with 69 or 70 percent.”

Despite some voter apathy before Tuesday’s election, turnout was comparable to previous years.

“Maybe people aren’t as fed up as they usually are,” Ellis said. “I think (the turnout) is pretty positive. Maybe the tide is turning on ASG.”

The only woman to run for an Associated Student Government Executive Board position, Ellis said one of her first initiatives will be to add information about violence in relationships to Responsibilities 102.

A former Women’s Coalition senator, Ellis will look to simplify alerting Facilities Management about poorly lit areas of campus by setting up an online map where students can click on trouble spots and send the information directly.

Another of Ellis’ campaign goals is to establish an online booklist that professors could update frequently. Initially, the list would post recent syllabi, but she hopes it can be expanded to include books for classes. Ellis also would publicize online book ordering.

Although Northwestern’s Coalition of Color endorsed Ellis with reservations about how she will address minority issues, she said she would encourage national minority recruitment. She said a database of minority and non-minority NU students who are interested in helping with recruitment would give outreach coordinators easy access to much-needed volunteers.

Even though the administration’s recruitment focus is in the Chicago area, Ellis said she would like students to bring recruiting ideas to their hometowns and summer residences.

Increasing community service options for NU students is another of Ellis’ key ideas. She would establish an Evanston and Northwestern Community Building Day so students could serve with a short-term commitment.

Ellis’ platform also calls for an annual flea market, in which students could sell their used furniture, appliances and books to other students.