Wildcat GeoGame FAQ & Terms

How do I find the Wildcat GeoGame?
Visit dailynorthwestern.com/geogame or go to dailynorthwestern.com and click on “Wildcat GeoGame” in the upper right-hand corner. You will be asked to accept the terms and conditions and authenticate (provide your Northwestern net ID and password).

How do I play the game?
New questions are added at the end of each day and will display after midnight; you can only answer once per day. Answer questions by going to dailynorthwestern.com/geogame or go to dailynorthwestern.com and click on “Wildcat GeoGame” in the upper right-hand corner.

Who can play the game?
Anyone with a net ID and password is encouraged to play the game. Northwestern students who answer 30 questions correctly in each quarter will earn a free pizza from Blaze. If demand for the free pizzas exceed supply, students will be entered into a drawing to get a pizza. Each quarter is a new session of questions to earn a pizza. Faculty and staff will enter a separate drawing for free pizzas after they have answered 30 questions correctly in a quarter.

Can I play the game on my phone?
While we have ensured the game works on mobile devices, we recommend viewing the map on a computer screen for efficiency.

Why can’t I submit my answer?
You can submit one answer per day, so please come back and play tomorrow!

Who will know if I get an answer wrong?
User data is private. Aggregate results are used for further study so feel free to play and learn the right answers.

What are the rewards?
Rewards are subject to change (see terms and conditions) but we are planning now to provide a free Blaze Pizza for any Northwestern student who answers 30 questions correctly in each quarter. The qualifying time for the Fall 2016 quarter begins October 12 to November 30, 2016. Winter quarter is January 3 to March 5, 2017. Spring quarter runs from March 28 to May 26, 2017.

What is Blaze Pizza?
Blaze Pizza is a popular chain in Chicago, including an Evanston location at 1737 Sherman Avenue. You will receive a numbered coupon for a free pizza redeemable at any Chicago/Evanston area Blaze restaurant, with unlimited toppings and tax included. Blaze Pizza does not deliver. For more information about Blaze Pizza, go to blazepizza.com.

Can I take my time to submit an answer to the Wildcat GeoGame?
Yes, you can take all day (24 hours – 12 am to 11:59 pm usct) to answer. When you submit, the game will ask you once to confirm your answers. Once submitted, your answers are final.

I want to talk to someone about my score.
If you have questions about the game, please email geogame@dailynorthwestern.com.

What if I don’t like the reward?
Rewards are subject to change, but for the 2016-2017 school year the reward is pizza from Blaze for at least 30 correct answers in a quarter. Participants cannot request substitutions.

Why do students only get rewards?
Due to limited supply, we are first ensuring that students will be rewarded, but we do encourage all Northwestern personnel to play. However, staff and faculty will be in a separate drawing for pizza rewards if they answer at least 30 correctly each quarter.

Why can’t I earn more than one reward per quarter?
Due to limited supply, there is only one reward per quarter. However, we encourage you to continue playing in a quarter after 30 correct answers.

I think the questions should be worded differently.
The questions have been provided by geospatial services at Northwestern University Libraries. If you have concerns about any of the questions, email geogame@dailynorthwestern.com.

Terms and Conditions

THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF SERVICE (the “Terms”) ARE A LEGAL AND BINDING AGREEMENT BETWEEN YOU AND Northwestern University and Student Publishing Company (which publishes The Daily Northwestern) governing your use of this Daily Challenge game which includes but is not limited to products, software and services offered by way of the challenge (collectively, the “Service”).Please review the Terms fully before you continue to use the Service. By using the Service, you agree to be bound by the Terms. You shall also be subject to any additional terms posted with respect to individual sections of the Service. If you do not agree, please discontinue using the Service. Northwestern University and Student Publishing reserve the right to change the Terms at any time without prior notice. Your continued access to or use of the Service after such changes indicates your acceptance of the Terms as modified. It is your responsibility to review the Terms regularly. The Terms were last updated May 27, 2016.

The Service is provided AS IS, WITH ALL FAULTS and without any representations or warranties, whether express or implied, all of which are hereby expressly disclaimed. Your access to and use of the Service are entirely at your risk. If you are dissatisfied with any of the materials contained in the Service, with the quality of service, or with these Terms, your sole and exclusive remedy is to discontinue accessing and using the Service.

In order to utilize certain functionality of the Service, you must authenticate as a member of the Northwestern University community. In order to be eligible for any rewards, you must be a student at Northwestern University and you must prove some consecutive skill in understanding and showcasing knowledge If rewards are provided, then you agree to your name and email address being provided to the reward provider so that you can earn the reward electronically.

You consent to all technical processing and transmission involved in your use of the Service, and you acknowledge that such process may involve (a) transmission of such data over various networks, and (b) modifying such data to conform and adapt to technical requirements of connecting networks or devices.

The Service is owned by Northwestern University and/or Students Publishing Company and cannot be used without prior approval. Any reward that is part of the Daily Challenge game is yours but you have no right to any substitute or cash, and any liability, including without limitation tax obligations, belongs solely yours as a participant electing to take part in the Daily Challenge game. All decisions by Northwestern University and/or Students Publishing Company concerning the Daily Challenge game are final. Northwestern University reserves the right to change the terms of the reward offering at any time. Northwestern also reserves the right to omit any players if any use of the Daily Challenge game is manipulated or if any participant is not representing his/her own submission. Northwestern further reserves the rights to present in aggregate the results of the games at any time and to indicate which participants are leading the game results.

The Service may provide, or third parties may provide, links to other sites or resources. There may be accompanying sponsorship or advertising to help defray the costs of the game. For the avoidance of doubt, Northwestern University does not endorse and is not responsible or liable for any content, advertising, products, or other materials on or available from such third party sites or resources.

You agree to indemnify, defend, and hold harmless Northwestern University and/or Student Publishing Co; their affiliates and partners; and their respective trustees, officers, directors, employees, agents, members, licensors, representatives, and third party providers to the Service from and against all losses, expenses, damages, and costs, including attorneys’ fees, resulting from any violation of these Terms.

You hereby represent and warrant that you are over 18 years of age, an emancipated minor or in possession of consent by a legal parent or guardian and have the authority to enter into and be legally bound by these Terms and are electing to do so willingly and without coercion.

No action of Northwestern University and/or Students Publishing Company may be construed as a waiver of any part of these Terms. Should any of the provisions set forth herein be deemed unenforceable, in whole or in part, the other provisions set forth herein will remain in full force and effect.

Any questions about the Daily Challenge game should be sent by U.S. mail to Professor Candy Lee, Medill, Northwestern University, 1845 Sheridan Road, Evanston, Illinois, 60202.

Acknowledgements

The Wildcat GeoGame was made possible through the collaboration of:

– Candy Lee, Professor, Medill School of Journalism, Media, Integrated Communications, Northwestern University

– Austin Chambers, Student, Northwestern University

– Claude Azurin, Student, Northwestern University

– Rodolfo Vieira, Senior Developer and AWS Certified Solutions Architect, Northwestern University IT Academic and Research Technology

– Kelsey Rydland, GIS and Data Analyst, Northwestern University Libraries

– Alessandro Febretti, Senior Interactive Visualization Specialist, Northwestern University Research Computing Services

– Nick Gertonson, Web and Mobile Designer, Northwestern University, Northwestern University IT Academic and Research Technology

– Chris Widman, Production Manager, The Daily Northwestern

Northwestern University Organizational support provided by:

– Buffett Institute

– Study Abroad Office

– Office of the Provost

– University Libraries

– IT Academic and Research Technology

– Research Computing Services

– The Daily Northwestern

Many of the geographic facts and questions are from the CIA World Factbook.