Winter shows in Chicago include local comedy, rapper’s birthday bash

Janea Wilson, Reporter

The new year is the perfect time to try things you’ve always thought about, but never did: go to more concerts, spend time with friends, laugh more often. If your New Year’s resolution is to take advantage of Northwestern’s proximity to Chicago while still maintaining a college student’s budget, check out this list of upcoming shows and events to attend this winter.

Laugh Factory Stand-up Comedy Show
The Laugh Factory is a comedy club that has stand-up shows almost every week and features local comedians. There are upcoming shows Jan. 19 and 26 at 7:15 p.m. and 9:15 p.m. Tickets start at $17. To find out more about these comedy shows, check out www.laughfactory.com.

Taylor Bennett’s Birthday Bash
Chance the Rapper will be co-hosting a birthday party for his younger brother, Taylor Bennett, with their father Ken Bennett on Jan. 19 at Metro Chicago. This music extravaganza includes performances by Chicago rappers King Louie and Queen Key. Tickets are $18 in advance and $21 on the day of the event, and can be purchased at www.metrochicago.com.

The Lemon Twigs
The Lemon Twigs are a 1970s pop-inspired musical duo featuring brothers Brian and Michael D’Addario. They will perform at Metro Chicago on Jan. 25. Tickets are $18 in advance and $21 at the door, and can be found at www.metrochicago.com.

Always Never
Always Never is an R&B duo featuring Dean Guilbault and Patrick Kirschner. They will perform at Schubas Tavern Jan. 24 at 9 p.m. Tickets are $10 in advance and $12 at the door, and can be found at www.lh-st.com.

Trivia Nights
Replay Lincoln Park is a vintage arcade that holds free trivia nights every Thursday from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Upcoming trivia themes include Parks and Recreation on Jan. 24 and Harry Potter on Jan. 31. More information about the events can be found at www.replaylincolnpark.com.

Kate Berlant
Kate Berlant is a stand-up comedian and writer who was recently featured in the Netflix special “The Characters.” She will perform at the Hideout Inn on Jan. 19 at 8 p.m. and 10 p.m. Tickets are $20 and can be purchased at www.hideoutchicago.com.

Second City Gaslight District
The Second City e.t.c.’s 42nd revue is bringing a satirical interpretation of the modern world to the Chicago comedy scene. “Gaslight District” runs every Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday until Feb. 17 at e.t.c. Theater. For more information and tickets check out www.secondcity.com.

Fudge
Fudge is an improv group that combines comedy and live music at their weekly shows. Each week they are joined by a different musical guest or stand-up comedian. Shows will run each Tuesday until March 26 at iO Theatre. More information and tickets can be found at www.ioimprov.com.