Young Thug to headline A&O Blowout

Yvonne Kim, Assistant Campus Editor

Rapper Young Thug will headline A&O Blowout, A&O Productions announced Sunday.

The rapper — whose legal name is Jeffery Lamar — hails from Atlanta and has continued the city’s trap rap tradition while updating it with his own unconventional vocal style. His new mixtape “Jeffery” has received critical acclaim.

In his songs — the best-known of which are perhaps “Best Friend” and his verse on Rich Gang’s “Lifestyle” — the rapper often slurs and shouts his words over hi-hat-heavy Southern beats.

“We’re obviously trying to bring artists who are relevant and (are) in the news and are popular,” said A&O Productions director Ethan Shaw, a Weinberg senior. “We try to bring artists who we think have a future of getting bigger going forward, and so we think that Young Thug fits into all those factors.”

A&O concerts director Alexandra Lefkowitz, a Weinberg senior, described Young Thug as “a compelling artist that people can either get really excited about or learn more about by watching the show.”

Many listeners first heard Young Thug when he released his song “Stoner” in 2014. He received critical acclaim for his mixtape “Slime Season 3,” which was released in March and topped Billboard’s rap charts earlier this year.

Young Thug’s sometimes gender-bending fashion has also intrigued music fans: The cover of “Jeffery” features the rapper in a blue ruffled dress. GQ Magazine explored Young Thug’s style and eccentricities in a widely-read profile this past February.

Changes to Blowout this year include an earlier date and a location change to Welsh-Ryan Arena. Last year’s Blowout was held at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago.

“The biggest thing is that we moved it back Welsh-Ryan, which we’re really excited about,” Shaw said. “We wanted to bring something that felt a little more attached to the University, and the best way to do that was to actually keep it on campus.”

R&B singer Kehlani will open the concert.

Tickets are available online for $10 from the Norris Box Office.

Twitter: @yvonneekimm