Police Blotter: Man arrested in connection with two residential burglaries in one morning

Nora Shelly, City Editor

Evanston police arrested a man Thursday after he entered someone’s garage through an unlocked door, later discovering he had burglarized a different residence earlier than morning.

The resident of the property in the 1900 block of Wesley Avenue heard noise in his residence and called the police, who arrested the 20-year-old Evanston resident shortly after 6 a.m.

Later that morning, police received a call from residents in the 1100 block of Foster Street. One of the residents had awoken at 5 a.m. to find a man in his residence — the man said he was looking for someone and must have entered the wrong apartment. The man then left, carrying a tan backpack.

At 8 a.m., the residents called police back after realizing the man had stolen the backpack from their apartment.

Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan said the EPD officers who were dispatched to the apartment in the 1100 block of Foster Street realized the man described in the incident fit the description of the man involved in the incident on Wesley Avenue.

Officers were able to recover the backpack after using the Find My iPhone app, which led them to the residence where the burglar was staying, Dugan said.

The man was charged with misdemeanor criminal trespass to land and felony residential burglary.

Woman arrested in connection with theft under $500

An Evanston woman was arrested Thursday in connection with a theft at an apartment complex in the 1900 block of Sherman Avenue.

A 61-year-old resident of the building left her purse in the lobby but could not find it when she returned to look for it.

The woman, who also lived in the building, was arrested after footage was found on security cameras that showed her taking the purse, Dugan said.

Twitter: @noracshelly