New, upgraded Nicor gas main to be installed throughout Evanston

Yvonne Kim, Reporter

The city announced a five-month gas main installation last Friday that will affect areas in Evanston as part of a multi-year initiative to modernize aging natural gas infrastructure.

Nicor Gas, a natural gas distribution company responsible for providing Evanston its natural gas, began the initiative Investing in Illinois with the goal of “modernizing the system that delivers natural gas safely and reliably,” according to a company news release.

The initiative is expected to last a total of nine years and expands beyond Evanston to include a range of cities, said Pat Eaves-Heard, Nicor Gas’s community relations and economic development manager. The process of installing a new gas main began July 5 with the assistance of NPL Construction, a Nicor Gas subcontractor.

“We’re looking across our footprint to make sure that we are upgrading,” Eaves-Heard said. “It’s just making sure that all of the infrastructure is up to date and that it is functioning properly so that the customers can be safe.”

The project will improve some of the installations that have occurred since Nicor Gas first started in 1954, she said. The newly constructed main gas line will then be connected to gas services in residential areas on Bennett Avenue, Central Street, Colfax Street, Grey Avenue, Hartrey Avenue, Noyes Street and Pioneer Road.

Eaves-Heard said the process, including restoration of landscaping and pavement, is expected to be finished by November, weather permitting.

Twitter: @yvonneekimm