Evanston man charged with three felonies in connection with domestic violence incident

Rishika Dugyala, Assistant Summer Editor

An Evanston man was charged with three felonies after his girlfriend reported Friday that she was battered and sexually assaulted.

At approximately 1:44 p.m. Friday, Evanston police officers were dispatched near Main Street and Michigan Avenue after being notified of a female on the street calling for help, according to a news release from Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan.

The 50-year-old female, an Evanston resident, told officers her boyfriend battered and sexually assaulted her in a residence in the 800 block of Michigan Avenue, according to the news release. She told police the incident began the night before, on June 23, and said she was choked and held against her will until she managed to flee the residence Friday afternoon.

According to the news release, the woman was transported to Presence Saint Francis Hospital for treatment after responding officers observed bruises on her face, neck and shoulders. Officers then located the man at his residence and took him into custody.

After reviewing the case, the Cook County State’s Attorney’s felony review unit approved the felony charges of criminal sexual assault, domestic battery and unlawful restraint, according to the news release.

Twitter: @rdugyala822