Police Blotter: Man beaten up in McDonald’s on Howard Street

Robin Opsahl, City Editor

Police are searching for two suspects accused of beating up a man in an Evanston McDonald’s restaurant Thursday.

Officers were dispatched to the restaurant, 1117 Howard St., at 10:33 a.m. after receiving a disturbance report, Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan said. When police arrived, they spoke with the victim, a 31-year-old Chicago man, who said he was in line waiting for food when a man and a woman came in and attacked him.

After police spoke with witnesses who were in the store at the time of the altercation, they learned that the woman saw the 31-year-old man and told her companion, “That’s the guy who did it,” Dugan said. The man with the woman accused the victim of being a rapist and started beating him up. After the attack, the pair left. According to police reports, the man was bleeding and had multiple bruises on his face from the fight. In further interviews, the man said he recognized the female and may have dated her in the past, but didn’t know her name, Dugan said.

Police are currently looking for the two suspects who are between 20 and 25 years old — a man who is between 5 feet 9 inches and 5 feet 10 inches tall and weighs between 160 and 165 pounds, and a woman who is between 5 feet 5 inches and 5 feet 7 inches tall and weighs between 135 and 145 pounds. The pair left in a white vehicle.

Chicago man arrested in connection with obstruction of justice after using friend’s identification

A 24-year-old Chicago man was arrested in connection with obstructing justice after lying about his identity to police during a traffic stop Thursday night.

At 8:48 p.m., officers stopped a vehicle in the 7500 block of North Ridge Boulevard in Chicago after observing the vehicle run a red light while heading south off Howard Street, Dugan said. When officers spoke to the driver they observed a strong smell of marijuana, asked the people in the vehicle to identify themselves and searched the vehicle.,

The driver and the woman sitting in the back of the car both identified themselves by name to officers. The front-seat passenger gave officers an Illinois driver’s license to identify himself, but during the officers’ search, they found an ID card with the name and picture of the front-seat passenger, which differed from the identification and name he had originally given, Dugan said.

Although no narcotics were found in the car, the man was charged with a misdemeanor for obstruction of justice, Dugan said. His court date is set for July 5 in Skokie.

Twitter: @robinlopsahl

This article was updated to reflect The Daily’s style.