Two Northwestern alumni appear on Trump’s list of potential U.S. Supreme Court nominees

Fathma Rahman, Assistant Campus Editor

Two Northwestern alumni appeared on presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump’s list of potential U.S. Supreme Court nominees released by the Trump campaign Wednesday.

Joan Larsen (School of Law ‘93) and Diane Sykes (Medill ‘80) are two of the 11 people Trump is considering to fill the seat of the late Justice Antonin Scalia on the Supreme Court. Six of the candidates currently serve on U.S. courts of appeal and the other five serve on state Supreme Courts.

“The following list of potential Supreme Court justices is representative of the kind of constitutional principles I value and, as President, I plan to use this list as a guide to nominate our next United States Supreme Court Justices,” Trump said in a news release.

Larsen graduated from the University of Northern Iowa and Pritzker School of Law. She serves as a justice on the Michigan Supreme Court and previously taught at the School of Law, as well as the University of Michigan School of Law.

Sykes, a former justice on the Wisconsin Supreme Court, serves as a federal judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit. She graduated from NU and Marquette University Law School.

Twitter: @fathma_rahman