Two injured in home invasion

Nora Shelly, Assistant City Editor

A 76-year-old man and his 39-year-old son were injured during a home invasion late Thursday morning in the 1300 block of Dewey Avenue.

The two called 911 around noon after a man entered their residence through the front door and battered them, the Evanston Police Department said in a news release. Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan told The Daily the man went room-by-room through the house asking where guns were hidden.

The man then left the house through the back door and fled the area on foot. Responding EPD officers searched the area but were unable to find the man, whom the victims described as roughly 6 feet tall, 180 pounds and 30 years old. The man was dressed in all black except for red gym shoes.

Dugan said it was unclear whether the suspect had any relation to the victims, and they are not yet sure why the residence was chosen, although they do preliminarily believe it was targeted. There is no reason to believe there was any illicit activity occurring at the house that may have led to the break-in, Dugan said.

The older man had a minor neck injury, and the son had a cut on his face. The two victims were taken by paramedics to Evanston NorthShore University Hospital, where they were treated and released.

Twitter: @noracshelly