Students charged with Alice Millar vandalism no longer enrolled at Northwestern

Julia Jacobs, Managing Editor

The two freshmen charged with felony vandalism to Alice Millar Chapel last month are no longer enrolled at Northwestern, University officials said Friday.

University President Morton Schapiro and University spokesman Al Cubbage confirmed to The Daily in an interview Friday the students are not enrolled, but could not discuss any other specific details due to student privacy laws.

Matthew Kafker and Anthony Morales, both former Weinberg freshmen, were arrested March 12 and charged with institutional vandalism, hate crime to a place of worship and criminal damage to property. The previous morning, University Police had discovered homophobic, anti-Semitic, racist and other offensive graffiti inside the chapel.

At a March 15 court hearing, Kafker requested and was granted permission to return to his family’s home in Swampscott, Massachusetts, provided he return to Skokie for his court dates. Morales was not present at the hearing.

Kafker and Morales are scheduled to appear Thursday at Skokie Courthouse.

The graffiti, which was painted throughout the chapel and religious center, included a swastika, male genitalia and the word “Trump.” Schapiro said in an email to students the night the graffiti was found that the vandalism was a “disgusting act of hatred.”

“It was just a disgrace, an absolute disgrace,” Schapiro told The Daily on Friday. “I saw those pictures, and it was just horrifying.”

Twitter: @juliarebeccaj