Northwestern among top Fulbright recipient-producing schools for 11th year

Northwestern%E2%80%99s+Office+of+Fellowships+is+housed+at+1940+Sheridan+Road.+NU+was+listed+as+the+third-best+school+for+producing+Fulbright+U.S.+Student+Program+grant+recipients+in+a+Chronicle+of+Higher+Education+ranking.+++

Sam Schumacher/The Daily Northwestern

Northwestern’s Office of Fellowships is housed at 1940 Sheridan Road. NU was listed as the third-best school for producing Fulbright U.S. Student Program grant recipients in a Chronicle of Higher Education ranking.

Madeline Fox, Campus Editor

Northwestern is tied with Yale University as the school with the third-most recipients of Fulbright U.S. Student Program grants, according to a Chronicle of Higher Education.

NU, which has ranked among the top 10 producers of Fulbright recipients for 11 consecutive years, had 26 winners in the 2015-2016 cycle and trails only Harvard University at 31, and the University of Michigan at 29.

The Fulbright U.S. Student Program, sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, provides grants for individual study or research projects or for English teaching assistant programs abroad. NU’s 2015-2016 class of Fulbright recipients are currently working in countries all over the world, from researching solar energy and hazardous medical waste to tutoring North Korean defectors.

Undergraduate and graduate students, as well as recent alumni, can apply for Fulbright grants through NU’s Office of Fellowships.

“Every Fulbright applicant receives guidance not only on this particular application/competition but also on a myriad of other possibilities around the globe and domestically,” Sara Anson Vaux, the office’s director, said in a press release.

Three additional Fulbright grants were offered to NU candidates, but the candidates declined.

Twitter: @maddycfox