Late night TV star, Northwestern alum Seth Meyers to speak at 2016 commencement

Source: NBC

Seth Meyers, the host of “Late Night with Seth Meyers” on NBC, has made a career out of late night television. The Communication alum will speak at Northwestern’s 2016 commencement.

Bobby Pillote, Web Editor

Comedian Seth Meyers (Communication ’96) will speak at Northwestern’s 2016 commencement ceremony, the University announced Tuesday.

Meyers, 42, currently hosts “Late Night with Seth Meyers” on NBC and has built his career on late-night television. The comedian and actor first rose to prominence during a long run on NBC’s “Saturday Night Live,” appearing on the show from 2001 to 2014. He served as head writer from 2005 until his exit and anchored the popular “Weekend Update” segment during the final eight years of his stint.

“We’re very pleased to welcome Seth Meyers back to campus as this year’s Commencement speaker,” University President Morton Schapiro said in a statement to The Daily. “It’s always a special treat to have an alum give the talk. I’m sure that Seth will not only make us laugh, but also inspire us. It should be a great day for our graduates and their families.”

Meyers got his start at NU with the Mee-Ow comedy group, often favoring improv classes in downtown Chicago over his Radio, Television and Film coursework.

“I knew it would be silly for me to be behind the camera when I found I loved performing so much,” Meyers told The Daily in 2011.

Meyers previously served as the Grand Marshal for NU’s 2011 homecoming parade.

Commencement will take place June 17 at Ryan Field.

Twitter: @BobbyPillote