Football: Kain Colter signed by Los Angeles Rams

Kain Colter eludes would-be tacklers. The former Northwestern quarterback has signed with the Los Angeles Rams.

Daily file photo by Megan White

Bobby Pillote, Web Editor

Football

The Los Angeles Rams have signed former Northwestern quarterback Kain Colter as a free agent.

Colter previously attempted to stick in the NFL with the Minnesota Vikings, earning a training camp invite and a spot on the team’s practice roster during the 2014 season. He transitioned to wide receiver for Minnesota before being waived in May 2015.

Prior to signing with the Rams, Colter worked out for the team last September. The ex-Wildcat, who graduated after the 2013 season, is the Rams’ first free agent signing since moving from St. Louis last month.

As a Wildcat, Colter gained recognition for his running and scrambling ability, and during NU’s 2012 Gator Bowl season he passed for a career-high 872 yards and 8 touchdowns. In addition, he posted another career-high with 12 rushing touchdowns on 894 yards.

In January 2014, Colter stirred controversy by leading a movement seeking to unionize NU’s football team, the first such push in college sports history. Two months later, the National Labor Relations Board for Region 13 ruled in favor of Cats players, establishing the College Athletes Players Association as a union and claiming the players are employees of the University.

However, the NLRB struck down the regional ruling last August, denying Colter and the players the ability to legally form as a union.

Twitter: @BobbyPillote