Local billionaire to receive recognition from state landmarks organization

Marissa Page, City Editor

Evanston billionaire Jennifer Pritzker will be recognized by Landmarks Illinois, a nonprofit that aims to protect state and cultural landmarks, for her dedication to the preservation and renovation of landmark buildings.

Pritzker is one of three honorees who will receive “landmark” status from the organization at its 11th annual Legendary Landmarks Celebration. The ceremony will be held March 7 at the Hilton Chicago Grand Ballroom, 720 S Michigan Ave.

“Our three honorees have made significant contributions in cultivating Chicago’s cultural heritage as the sustaining pivot for the city’s growth,” said Bonnie McDonald, president and CEO of Landmarks Illinois, in a news release.

Pritzker, who serves as president and CEO of the investment group Tawani Enterprises, has funded the restoration of properties such as Chicago’s Monroe Building and Stone Porch by the Lake, 300 Church St., an Evanston bed-and-breakfast. In 2013, City Council rejected Tawani’s bid to purchase the Harley Clarke Mansion, a 1927 city-owned mansion that currently sits vacant at 2603 Sheridan Rd., following citizen pushback.

Landmarks Illinois cited Pritzker’s investment in historic real estate as an impetus for positive change in Chicago-area communities.

“Not only does Jennifer Pritzker value historic preservation, she willingly acts as a catalyst for change,” McDonald said in the release.

Twitter: @marissahpage