Evanston representative Daniel Biss drops out of comptroller race

Marissa Page, Assistant City Editor

State Sen. Daniel Biss (D-Evanston) announced Monday he would exit the race for Illinois comptroller.

Biss entered the race to challenge Republican incumbent Leslie Munger last spring. Shortly thereafter, Chicago city clerk Susana Mendoza, also a Democrat, announced her candidacy.

“Susana and I come from very different political backgrounds, but I consider her a friend,” Biss said in a statement. “We also have similar positions on many issues, and we have a lot of allies in common.”

The comptroller is a publicly elected official whose primary task is to audit government accounts, as well as certify government expenditures. Gov. Bruce Rauner appointed Munger as comptroller in January after predecessor Judy Baar Topinka died of a stroke. A special election for the office will be held in November 2016.

Although Biss’ campaign began as more financially successful than Mendoza’s, the Chicago city clerk has garnered the support of several prominent state Democrats, notably Illinois House speaker Michael Madigan. Biss said in order to secure the Democratic nomination, he would likely need to launch a costly and “divisive” campaign.

“It seemed like the last thing the state and the Democratic Party needed was an expensive and divisive campaign for comptroller,” he said. “This is a moment when we need to be united, and we need to be focused on solving problems and winning the existential battles that the governor has created.”

The representative offered Mendoza his full support in her pursuit of the office.

Twitter: @marissahpage