Cao: The US should intervene in the South China Sea disputes

Henry Cao, Columnist

The flexing of China’s military muscle in the South China Sea has escalated tensions in Southeast Asia. The main issue is the Chinese government using a “nine-dash line” to demarcate its purportedly historical sovereignty over most of the South China Sea, totaling 1.4 million square miles. China has been transforming reefs in the Spratly Islands into artificial islands and building military and civilian facilities on them, mostly notably a 3,000 meter airstrip on Fiery Cross Reef. These structures make up China’s “Great Wall of Sand.” Other countries in the region — Vietnam, Philippines, Taiwan and Malaysia — have also constructed airstrips in the South China Sea.

There is no question that China’s “Great Wall of Sand” encroaches on the sovereignty claims of various Southeast Asian countries. This development endangers vital shipping lanes in the South China Sea, where 30 percent of the world’s trade and 50 percent of the world’s oil tankers pass through. Officially, the United States remains neutral with respect to the South China Sea disputes. However, upholding international maritime law is important to defend the sovereignty of smaller nations and protecting international commerce. Despite the profound commercial and diplomatic relations at stake, the U.S. should confront China about its attempts to consolidate control over the South China Sea.

An enormous volume of trade passes through the South China Sea, and the presence of Chinese military there threatens freedom of navigation in the region. Each year, approximately $5 trillion in trade passes through the South China Sea. Currently, China claims almost 90 percent of the sea. China’s presence threatens the flow of international trade, as its expansion of military facilities in the region appears to serve the hegemonic interests of China and not the general welfare of the global community. If tensions escalate in the region, it could threaten trade between the U.S. and Southeast Asia. So far, China has been very obstinate about discussing its territorial claims. The commercial ramifications of the South China Sea disputes cannot be underestimated.

China’s violation of other countries’ sovereignties should be challenged by the U.S. The U.S. has repeatedly asserted its rights to freedom of navigation in the South China Sea. America has the world’s largest navy and it has served as the policeman for shipping lanes in the South China Sea. In September, the P-8 Poseidon, an American surveillance and submarine hunting aircraft, was rebuffed by the Chinese navy when it neared a Chinese-occupied island in the South China Sea. This island was some 600 miles from China’s coastline. This incident shows how incredible the reach of China’s territorial claims is. China’s claims extend into the Exclusive Economic Zones — waters within 200 nautical miles of a country’s coastline — of countries including Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei and the Philippines.

Currently, the Philippines is suing China in the Permanent Court of Arbitration in Philippines v. China concerning China’s “nine-dash line.” Although the case is in progress, its ramifications are inconsequential without the U.S. commitment to freedom of navigation. Although international law does not support China’s “nine-dash line,” it is to some extent a symbolic gesture of international cooperation. Thus, the United States must support its allies in the region through the use of military support. The “nine-dash line” clearly disregards the sovereignty of smaller nations in favor of China’s own geopolitical interests.

China’s recalcitrant attitude should not discourage the U.S. from intervening in the South China Sea. The only party that benefits from the U.S. negligence of the region’s disputes is China. The sovereignty of Southeast Asian states is in the balance, and the economic and commercial interests of the global community are being usurped by the hegemonic ambitions of China. This is an opportunity for the U.S. to demonstrate its leadership and commitment to stability in the Pacific.

Henry Cao is a Weinberg sophomore. He can be reached at [email protected]. If you would like to respond publicly to this column, send a Letter to the Editor to [email protected].

The views expressed in this piece do not necessarily reflect the views of all staff members of The Daily Northwestern.