Football: Q&A with Minnesota DB Briean Boddy-Calhoun

Alex Putterman, Web Editor

At Big Ten Media Days in late July, before the season began, The Daily asked various players around the conference their thoughts on the Northwestern program.

With the Wildcats set to host Minnesota on Saturday, here’s what Golden Gophers defensive back Briean Boddy-Calhoun, a 2014 All-Big Ten selection, had to say.

The Daily Northwestern: From an outsider’s perspective, what can we expect if we tune into a Minnesota game this season?

Briean Boddy-Calhoun: You expect a relentless group that’s going to come out here and play hard each and every game, one that’s going to play with passion and one that’s going to play smart.

The Daily: It was a pretty exciting game last year between Minnesota and NU (The Golden Gophers won 24-17). What do you remember about that game?

Calhoun: You guys tired me out on that last drive. Northwestern moves pretty fast, they do a lot of complicated stuff with their bunches, bunching receivers up.

The Daily: In that game Northwestern didn’t get a lot going offensively and then really got it going at the end.

Calhoun: They had that 94-yard drive that kind of just drained us. It was like, “Wow, this is going on forever.”

The Daily: What do you think changed all of a sudden?

Calhoun: That drive. Northwestern does a great job of taking it one play at a time. They’re not going to try to hit home runs, they’re just going to try to get everyone on base and then bring them all home.

The Daily: What are your impressions of Northwestern’s program generally, having played them a couple of times?

Calhoun: They’re very disciplined. They’re not just going to give you plays. You have to play hard and play smart in order to beat them.

The Daily: As a defensive back, how does your approach change facing a pocket-passer vs. a guy who can run a little bit (such as NU’s Clayton Thorson)?

Calhoun: A guy that can run, he extends plays, so you’ve got to keep your eyes on your man. You’re not able to just stick him for a second and look at the quarterback. With a scrambler, you’ve got to keep your eyes on him at all times.

Twitter: @AlexPutterman