Letter to the Editor: In college, reason must prevail over dogma

Edmund Bannister

In recent years college students have become, fairly and unfairly, the target of extensive criticism from the news media and prominent American public figures. Magazines and newspapers, including The Atlantic, The New York Times and The Washington Post have run articles and editorials lamenting the psychological frailty and intellectual simplicity of the millennial undergraduate. Prominent comedians like Louis C.K. and Chris Rock have stopped touring college campuses due to a culture of hysteria that stifles their ability to perform. A robust discussion has emerged among American intellectuals and journalists, many of whom argue that four years of college only serves to entrench the prejudices of students, rather than open their minds to new ideas.

Jacob Altstadt’s column in The Daily takes an important step in proving, both to the Northwestern student body and to the general public, that our generation is capable of engaging in nuanced, rational and controversial discussions without resorting to the type of emotional demagoguery that has muffled debate in the past. His article highlights the self-evident truth that respect and disagreement are not mutually exclusive. Hopefully, now and in the future, the subjectivity and dogmatism which has blocked debate in the past will be replaced by objectivity and mutual respect.

— Edmund Bannister, Weinberg freshman