Rollin’ To Go sandwiches to make a comeback at D&D Finer Foods

Julia Jacobs/Daily Senior Staffer

Rollin’ To Go sandwiches will be served starting next month at D&D Finer Foods. Rollin’ To Go, a popular sandwich shop, closed its doors in July due to financial and legal troubles.

Julia Jacobs, City Editor

Rollin’ To Go sandwiches will be served starting next month at D&D Finer Foods, a grocery store just down the road from the recently closed restaurant, D&D ownership said Tuesday.

Tim Camastro, the former owner of Rollin’, will make select recipes for the grocery store’s deli at 825 Noyes St. beginning sometime in October, said D&D owner Kosta Douvikas. The made-to-order sandwich shop, previously at 910 Noyes St., shut its doors this summer due to financial trouble and legal conflicts, Camastro told The Daily in July.

The closing was a blow to many Northwestern students and city staff members who frequented the sandwich shop during lunch hours.

Camastro did not immediately respond to request for comment.

Douvikas, whose father started the specialty foods grocery store in 1963, said he reached out to Camastro in September to start making sandwiches at his deli. The store will serve about eight of Camastro’s most popular sandwiches, Douvikas said.

“As small business owners, we like to help each other out at every step of the way,” he said.

Douvikas said he and Camastro are longtime friends. Both their fathers ran separate small businesses when they grew up in Evanston.

Rollin’ To Go opened over a decade ago as a spinoff of Rollin’ in Dough, a pizzeria and catering company Camastro’s father and uncle started in the 1980s. The store was three doors down from the sandwich shop’s old Noyes Street location.

“His family has been here just as long as we’ve been here,” Douvikas said. “We’re the new generation taking over.”

Ravi Umarji (McCormick ’10) said there was an outpouring of disappointment among alumni on social media when the sandwich shop’s closure went public. Umarji said he reached out to Camastro shortly after the closure to offer financial assistance from Lending for Evanston and Northwestern Development, a microfinance organization he co-founded as an NU senior.

Although the agreement between LEND and Rollin’ did not work out, Umarji said he is pleased to see the return of a community mainstay known for quality food and service.

McCormick senior Daniel Wedig, who created his own sandwich at Rollin’ with his friend almost two years ago, said he was shocked to hear about the shop’s closure over the summer.

“It was kind of hard to believe because it seemed like they did really good businesses,” Wedig said. “It’s promising that maybe we’ll get to eat some of our favorite sandwiches again.”

This story was updated to include comments from regular Rollin’ To Go customers at 11:36 p.m. Tuesday

Twitter: @juliarebeccaj