2015 Football Preview: Our staff makes its season predictions

Senior+offensive+lineman+Matt+Frazier+and+the+Wildcats+are+all+smiles+entering+the+season%2C+but+with+a+new+quarterback+and+other+young+players+all+over+the+field%2C+Northwestern+could+see+a+wide+range+of+outcomes+in+2015.+

Daily file photo by Nathan Richards

Senior offensive lineman Matt Frazier and the Wildcats are all smiles entering the season, but with a new quarterback and other young players all over the field, Northwestern could see a wide range of outcomes in 2015.

2015 Football Preview

Football season is finally upon us. Check out our staff’s predictions for Northwestern in 2015.

CLAIRE HANSEN:

It’s shaping up to be another unpredictable season for the Wildcats. With newly-dubbed starter Clayton Thorson at the helm of the offense, it might take the Cats more than a few snaps to adjust to the redshirt freshman’s cadence — and for Thorson’s nerves to wear off. But after a few shaky quarters, Thorson should prove to be a dual-threat quarterback ready to deliver the football to NU’s corps of experienced wide receivers as well as make some solid runs to move the chains.

Sophomore running back Justin Jackson will also provide NU with extensive yardage, even against defensive powerhouses like Penn State and Wisconsin. The Cats will struggle defensively against the likes of Stanford and Nebraska but should be able to pull out some big stops against less mobile offenses. Even given the decidedly positive changes to the depth chart this year, it’s Northwestern. The Cats will win games they shouldn’t win, lose games they shouldn’t lose and raise the blood pressure of every NU football fan out there.

Prediction: 7-5, Pinstripe Bowl

HUZAIFA PATEL:

I have the Cats losing only to Stanford before rattling off three non-conference victories. The conference schedule is relatively OK without Michigan State and Ohio State on the calendar, opening the door for an above .500 finish overall. I think this result would be a step in the right direction for the Cats and, if healthy, they are capable of achieving it with a solid rushing attack and defense.

There are some very interesting games on the schedule, but one I’m looking forward to as a progress report for NU is Week 6 in Ann Arbor against Michigan. This matchup presents a tough road environment against what should be a well-coached team. It also allows the Cats an opportunity to expand on early season success or to turn around an early season mishap.

Prediction: 7-5, Pinstripe Bowl

STEPHANIE KELLY:

The Cats will reach bowl eligibility this year, but it’s hard to trace out exactly how the offense will come together to execute the wins. Even with a starting quarterback finally named, it’s still unclear whether the Cats’ offense can get a rhythm going to generate the necessary big plays. It’s hard to predict what areas of the offense will come together and which key players will step up. It’s not as hard to predict that Justin Jackson might have a lot to do with it.

Many of the team’s position groups thrive as standalones—the defensive secondary, the d-line, the running backs. How and if all the pieces come together is what will make this season so interesting, and frankly could make it disappointing.

The optimist in me, however, says they will grab six wins, but that’s it. The defense will hold up in mid-season games against Minnesota and Iowa. The Cats and, importantly, Thorson will build up much-needed early confidence by trumping Eastern Illinois and Ball State. With some heat added to the offense and some consistency to the defense, the Cats will end the season on a gradual—albeit slow—upward trajectory by utilizing a stellar 2014 recruiting class.

Prediction: 6-6, Pinstripe Bowl

ALEX PUTTERMAN:

The 2015 Wildcats won’t necessarily be better than their 2014 predecessors, but they should be luckier. After two straight seasons of roster-wide injury epidemic, NU can hardly help but be healthier this year. And perhaps coach Pat Fitzgerald’s squad can perform better in toss-up games a year after going 2-4 in games decided by one touchdown or less.

With a rookie quarterback and an inexperienced offensive line, the Cats might struggle to score, especially if Jackson is unable to duplicate his near-unbelievable freshman success. It will be NU’s defense that gets the program back to a bowl game. That unit features a deep cast of pass-rushers and a secondary that has already proven itself in Big Ten play.

Realistically, 2015 looks like a transition year, one in which youngsters like Jackson, Thorson, Godwin Igwebuike, Anthony Walker and others develop, setting up for a return to glory in 2016 and beyond. With a relatively young team, there may be ups and downs and bromides from Fitzgerald about maturity and focus. But four-star talent on both sides of the ball combined with a manageable schedule should allow NU to steal some games and sneak into a bowl game for the first time since the 2012 season.

Prediction: 6-6, Heart of Dallas Bowl

BOBBY PILLOTE:

By almost any statistical measure, Trevor Siemian was one of the worst quarterbacks in FBS football last season. In spite of him, NU still managed to go 5-7. A freshman quarterback typically isn’t a recipe for success, but we can make an exception to the rule given the Wildcat’s transition from an injury-riddled Siemian to the highly touted Thorson.

Even in his inexperience, Thorson will be able to lean on Jackson and return NU’s offense to a middling level of performance. That, combined with a quietly very good defense, regression to the mean with injuries and special teams performance and some favorable scheduling, will be enough to propel the Cats to third place in a very weak Big Ten West.

NU gets its two most important games of the season, against Minnesota on Oct. 3 and against Iowa on Oct. 17, at home. National media have overrated what amount to two very average squads, and home field advantage means the Cats have a very plausible chance at picking up two wins over key division rivals.

Add in likely wins against Eastern Illinois, Ball State, Purdue and Illinois and the Cats are already back to bowl eligibility. They’ll also snatch victory against beatable No. 21 Stanford on Saturday and steal a road win over either Michigan or Nebraska, both of which are transitioning to new coaches this season.

This is, to say the least, an optimistic prediction, but after back-to-back 5-7 disappointments it’s time for NU’s luck to turn.

Prediction: 8-4, TaxSlayer Bowl

Twitter: @clairechansen

Twitter: @HuzaifaPatel95

Twitter: @StephanieKellyM

Twitter: @AlexPutterman

Twitter: @BobbyPillote