Police Blotter: Driver crashes stolen van while fleeing

Julia Jacobs, Summer Editor

The driver of a stolen van was arrested Saturday evening after deserting the vehicle, allowing it to roll into a Northwestern stop sign.

Earlier that day, an Evanston woman reported her van had been stolen from her home in the 900 block of Sherman Avenue sometime between 1:30 a.m. and 9:45 a.m, said Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan. The woman reported someone had taken her purse — including her credit cards, driver’s license and social security card — and entered her garage, where the burglar stole her 2007 Toyota Sienna minivan, Dugan said.

Police spotted the stolen van at about 6:30 p.m. in the east alley of 1700 Orrington Ave. and attempted to conduct a traffic stop, he said. The man driving the vehicle fled on foot and failed to put the van into park, leading it to roll into bushes and the stop sign.

The Evanston resident,18, was charged with vehicle trespass, a misdemeanor, as well as other traffic related charges, Dugan said. Police will add charges if they link the man to the van theft through forensic evidence or a confession, he added.

Two nearby vehicle burglaries occur in the same time period

Items were taken from two unlocked vehicles in south Evanston sometime between Tuesday night and Wednesday morning.

An 48-year-old Evanston woman reported to police that her car was burglarized while parked in the 1300 block of Ashland Avenue between 7:30 p.m. Tuesday and 7 a.m. Wednesday, Dugan said. Someone took diabetes medication worth $100 as well as two pairs of sunglasses and six country music CDs.

A 56-year-old Evanston man also reported that money and credit cards were stolen from his car while it was parked in the 1800 block of Greenwood Street, two blocks from the other burglary, Dugan said. Someone had stolen two of the man’s credit cards as well as $800 between 10 p.m. Tuesday and 8 a.m. Wednesday, he said.

Police are unsure if the incidents are connected, he added.

Twitter: @juliarebeccaj