Police Blotter: Vehicle burglaries reach seven in one week

Julia Jacobs, Summer Editor

Two boys were arrested early Thursday morning in connection with two vehicle burglaries, the sixth and seventh arrests for that crime in the past week.

An officer patrolling in the 1000 block of Hinman Avenue at about 2:15 a.m. discovered an unlocked vehicle with its glove compartment open and items spilled out on the front seat. The officer then stopped the two boys, 16 and 17 years old, in a nearby alley and discovered one with a debit card and watch that had been stolen from a different car in south Evanston.

The owner of the burglarized car on Hinman Avenue reported that $3 was missing from the vehicle.

The teenagers, both Chicago residents, were charged with two counts of burglary to a motor vehicle.

Man caught stealing multiple packages from condo buildings

A Chicago man was arrested Monday evening in connection with package theft from two buildings in Evanston.

Angel Marquez, 35, was reported to police by a manager of a condominium building in the 1500 block of Hinman Avenue for placing mail packages in his backpack. The manager — who did not recognize Marquez as a resident — first confronted Marquez, who then fled the scene.

Police arrested Marquez at Chicago Avenue and Davis Street.

The packages, some of which came from another condominium building in the 900 block of Hinman Avenue, contained photographic film, clothes and an umbrella.

Marquez was charged with two counts of burglary.

Twitter: @juliarebeccaj