Letter to the Editor: Last Lecturer Alexandra Solomon responds to the conversation surrounding Prof. Barnor Hesse’s withdrawal

As the faculty member selected to give the 2015 Last Lecture, I would like to take the opportunity to add my voice to the important conversation that Prof. Barnor Hesse began. The situation is certainly multilayered, historical, current, and worthy of exploration and conversation — a “teaching moment” as Prof. Hesse said in his letter. In the interest of time and space, I would like to highlight four aspects that stand out to me:

1. Implicit bias is pervasive and quiet with real impact on real lives. When implicit bias is brought into the light for examination, humility and curiosity create the crucible in which transformation can occur.
  1. We need each other. We need relationship. Even on a campus like Northwestern, where the best and brightest gather to teach, learn, and grow, vision is limited… always. With education, dialog and experience, our lens becomes wider and wider, yet we are always limited by the fact that we are human. Therefore, we need to be willing to invite each other to stand and look from a different position, and we need humility and courage to say, “Yep, I thought I saw it all, but I didn’t.”
  1. Intent versus impact. In relationship, we are reminded again and again, painfully sometimes, that even when our hearts are “in the right place” and our intentions are “good,” our impact can be hurtful.
  1. The need for amends. I admire Prof. Hesse’s courage in voicing his concern, and I admire the Senior Week committee’s willingness to take responsibility for their part. Especially in situations that feel painful and confusing, even though it may be tempting to go silent, become defensive, ignore or blame, willingness to name, examine, apologize and forgive creates the conditions for internal change, relational change and systemic change.

In closing, I am finding that space within myself in which I can both reflect on this situation and experience my complete and utter delight and honor at being selected to give the Last Lecture this year. And I trust our NU community to hold this complexity as well. I can’t wait to celebrate our seniors next week!

Alexandra H. Solomon
Licensed Clinical Psychologist and Assistant Clinical Professor
Northwestern University Senior Week 2015 Last Lecturer