Dawes Park pond dedication to kick off concert season

Julia Jacobs, Assistant City Editor

The dedication of the newly-renovated pond at Dawes Park next month will mark the start of Evanston’s summer concert series.

The pond, located at Sheridan Road and Church Street, was renamed Arrington Lakefront Lagoon in memory of W. Russell Arrington, who served as a member of the Illinois House and leader of the Illinois Senate. His son Michael Arrington, an Evanston resident, is president and CEO of the Arrington Foundation, which donated $500,000 to lagoon renovations.

Renovations of the lagoon and its surrounding infrastructure began in April 2014 and continued into the end of the year after weather delayed the construction.

Pond improvements included fixes to the pavement, stone waterfall and stairs, as well as repairs to the stone and brickwork. The city also made improvements to the plumbing and electrical systems, and added features required by the Americans with Disabilities Act, such as handrails on the pond stairs and smoothed pavements.

Evanston received $400,000 of the project’s funding from the Illinois Department of Natural Resources as a part of a $12.3 million grant for local governments to develop parks in public space. The city provided the remaining $492,200 of funds.

The dedication at 3:30 p.m. on June 6 will lead into this summer’s first Starlight Concert, which will feature the band Velocity.

Twitter: @juliarebeccaj