Men’s Golf: Jamieson moves on to U.S. Open Sectional qualifying

Josh+Jamieson+celebrates+after+a+good+shot.+The+junior+was+one+of+six+Northwestern+golfers+competing+in+a+U.S.+Open+local+qualifier+and+the+only+Wildcat+to+advance+to+Sectional+qualifying.+

Nathan Richards/Daily Senior Staffer

Josh Jamieson celebrates after a good shot. The junior was one of six Northwestern golfers competing in a U.S. Open local qualifier and the only Wildcat to advance to Sectional qualifying.

Bobby Pillote, Sports Editor

Men’s Golf

Junior Josh Jamieson advanced to the U.S. Open Sectional qualifying on Monday by placing among the five lowest scorers at a local qualifier at Flossmoor Country Club in Flossmoor, Illinois.

Jamieson shot a 2-under 70 to finish in a two-way tie for fourth out of the 79-man field. He was a key contributor to Northwestern’s team this season, competing in every tournament as a member of the team lineup.

Five other Wildcat golfers participated in the qualifier. Freshman Dylan Wu, who competed as an individual at NCAA Regionals over the weekend, had the next-best Wildcat finish by placing seventh with an even-par 72.

Freshman Charles Wang finished 12th with a 2-over 74, junior Andrew Whalen came in a tie at 28th with a 5-over 77, senior Matthew Negri tied for 53rd by shooting a 9-over 81 and freshman Sam Triplett finished tied at 60th with a 10-over 82.

Jamieson selected The Bears Club in Jupiter, Florida, as his first choice of sites for Sectional qualifying on June 8. He’ll be competing for one of 156 spots in the final field of the U.S. Open, held June 18-21 at Chambers Bay in University Place, Washington.

Twitter: @BobbyPillote