Police Blotter: April 22

Julian Gerez, Reporter

Evanston woman says several men forcibly robbed her

Multiple people forcibly robbed a woman on the porch of her apartment building in south Evanston early Monday morning, police said.

The 27-year-old woman said she was sitting on the porch of her building in the 1500 block of Greenleaf Street smoking a cigarette when three or four young men came up to her and asked for a cigarette, Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan said. When she said no, the men grabbed her purse, pushed her head into a wall and took about $120 from her wallet inside her purse, Dugan added.

She later said her wallet was taken from her sweatshirt pocket and the men kicked her in the face then left, Dugan said. Afterward, she said she was instead punched in the face before her money was taken, Dugan said.

The woman was transported to the hospital but did not have any signs of injury to her face. However, she did say it felt swollen and there was a scratch on one of her fingers, police said.

Scuba diving equipment stolen from Evanston home

Someone burglarized about $8,000 worth of scuba diving equipment from a west Evanston home between April 6 and Monday morning, police said.

The equipment was in a case inside of a garage of the residence located in the 2400 block of Central Park Avenue, Dugan said. The owner of the home, a 67-year-old man said the equipment belonged to his 22-year-old son and was last seen April 6, Dugan added.

There were no signs of forced entry into the home, police said.

Twitter: @JulianEGerez