Local school boards each welcome one new member

Marissa Page, Assistant City Editor

Residents on Tuesday elected six candidates to local school boards in an election that saw just under 9 percent of registered Evanston voters cast their ballots.

In Evanston/Skokie School District 65, first-time candidate Jennifer Phillips will join incumbents Omar Brown and Richard Rykhus on the board. For School District 202, incumbents Mark Metz and Jonathan Baum will retain their seats, with newcomer Monique Parsons filling out the board. Board members will be sworn in next month.

Philips said she looks forward to getting to know the district even better through her future work on the board.

“It’s been an amazing process, campaigning,” Phillips said. “It’s been a phenomenal way to get to know my community, get to know the schools across the districts, parents, other community members. I loved meeting with some of the retirees in the district who are former teachers to hear their issues.”

There were five total candidates running for the District 202 spots, and four running for District 65. Anne Sills ultimately lost the third District 202 seat by 235 votes, whereas Adrian Dortch, who ran for spots on both boards, trailed all candidates in the polls.

Although Dortch lost the race by a wide margin, he said he is still pleased with the outcome.

“We have some great constituents that are on the board now,” Dortch said. “Omar is great, Mrs. Parsons is great. These are all community people who live in our community and love our community.”

Metz, who has served on the ETHS board for six years, said he was impressed with his competitors’ showings throughout the campaign process.

“The other four candidates really did some hard work,” he said. “I thought their efforts and commitment to the school were incredible. Now, I just look forward to getting back to work.”

Only 8.9 percent of registered Evanston voters turned out for the election.

Entering his second four-year term on the District 202 school board, Baum said he was grateful to the Evanston community for affirming his service and electing him to continue working to improve ETHS.

“I expect it will continue to be a good, hardworking, collegial board,” Baum said. “I’m looking forward to working with everybody.”

Phillips said she believes that the new District 65 board will be capable of affecting positive change in Evanston schools.

“(My kids and I) have been talking a lot about how when you put yourself out there and try hard, change is possible,” Phillips said. “I love that they now can really believe that change is possible, though I think they’re just hoping that I can double the length of recess.”

The other candidates could not be reached for comment.

Twitter: @marissahpage