District 65 budget cuts to eliminate 29 full-time positions

Marissa Page, Assistant City Editor

The Evanston/Skokie School District 65 Board of Education approved a budget restructuring plan that will effectively cut 29 full-time staffers.

The layoffs — effective July 1 — come in light of a projected budget deficit of $5.8 million in the upcoming fiscal year, the district announced. Currently, District 65’s operating budget deficit is $407,843.

Factors accounting for the steep increase in deficit between the 2015-16 fiscal year and the 2016-17 fiscal year include increases in projected district spending, adjustments to the projected Consumer Price Index and a less than one percent increase in revenues, according to the district.

Eliminating these 29 positions will save the district an estimated $1.2 million. These cuts will help to balance the 2015-16 budget and reduce the anticipated deficit for the 2016-17 fiscal year to around $2 million, according to the district.

Among the jobs that will be cut are 10.5 central office positions, including support, custodial and maintenance staff; 6.75 reading specialists; six special education teacher assistants; and 5.8 building-level staff — among them one assistant principal, two secretaries and two curriculum specialists.

“Each person within the organization plays an important role in the education of our children,” District 65 superintendent Paul Goren said in a news release. “However, we are faced with a grim financial picture. We must be prudent and look at all aspects of our budget, including personnel.”

The school board approved the cuts March 23 and affected staffers were informed of the decision last week.

In addition to the cuts, several district positions have been combined and remaining responsibilities distributed across departments. Goren said the district made a concerted effort to keep cuts from directly affecting students.

“Even with the reductions, we remain committed to providing quality service to our students, families and community,” he said in the news release.

These cuts come ahead of a decision regarding the Illinois School Funding Reform Act of 2015 and Senate Bill 1, which could potentially slash District 65’s funds by another $6.6 million.

“While these changes are difficult, we must act now to be fiscally responsible,” Goren said.

Twitter: @marissahpage