CARE hires new assistant director

Madeline Fox, Assistant Campus Editor

The Center for Awareness, Response and Education has hired a new assistant director, Erin Clark, who started March 30.

CARE, which provides confidential counseling services to survivors of sexual misconduct and hosts sexual violence prevention programs on campus, had to put its services on hold in the fall after its two full-time staff members left Northwestern.

Clark replaces Laura Anne Haave, who left in August to take a position at Carleton College. Haave’s departure came a month after survivor advocate Eva Ball resigned for family reasons. CARE hired Carrie Wachter as a part-time temporary survivor advocate in October to resume services. CARE made Wachter’s position permanent early this year.

Hiring CARE staff members can be challenging because of the unique qualifications required, director of Health Promotion and Wellness Lisa Currie told The Daily in September. In addition to their work with sexual assault survivors, CARE members advise student groups and work with the Campus Coalition on Sexual Violence to prevent sexual assault and discuss NU’s policies.

CARE is also seeking candidates for a new position, coordinator of men’s engagement, established in the fall with a $300,000 U.S. Department of Justice grant to reduce sexual violence on college campuses.

The coordinator will be responsible for working with male survivors and student groups such as Men Against Rape and Sexual Assault, fraternities and athletics teams.

Clark and the new coordinator will “bolster Northwestern’s sexual misconduct awareness, prevention and response efforts,” according to a news release.

Twitter: @madelinefox14