Giordano’s franchise says it plans to reopen Evanston branch​ under new management​

Sean Su/Daily Senior Staffer

The Evanston branch of Giordano’s, located at the intersection of Chicago Avenue and Davis Street, closed Friday. The franchise said it plans to reopen an Evanston location under new management.

Sophia Bollag, Managing Editor

The Giordano’s location at the intersection of Chicago Avenue and Davis Street closed Saturday, the restaurant’s owner said.

Friday was the last day of business for the restaurant, a branch of the Chicago-based pizza franchise, said Ted Mavrakis, the owner of the Evanston location.

Giordano’s plans to reopen the Evanston branch in the future, the franchise said in a statement.

The restaurant closed after the American Arbitration Association, a ​nonprofit organization that settles conflicts out of court, terminated the franchise agreements that gave Mavrakis the rights to operate the branch, Giordano’s said in a statement.

The Morton Grove branch, which Mavrakis also owned, will also close, according to Giordano’s. The franchise plans to reopen the Morton Grove branch​​ as well.

Notice of the closure is posted on one of the Evanston restaurant’s windows.

“We apologize for any inconvenience and truly appreciate all the years of loyalty,” the sign reads.

Mavrakis said the reason for the closure is a “long story” and declined to comment further. The sign in the restaurant’s window explains the closure is due to “extrenuating circumstances (sic).”

Giordano’s said Mavrakis violated the agreements by “owning and operating several competing restaurants.”

Mavrakis said he owns the building that housed the restaurant at 1527 Chicago Ave., and has “no idea” what he will do with the building moving forward.

The restaurant won The Daily’s Best of Evanston category for Best WildCARD Discount this year for its 20 percent discount for WildCARD holders.

This post was updated at 6:30 p.m. Monday with new information.

Twitter: @SophiaBollag