Brennan, Wilbon join new Medill sports journalism graduate program

Emily Chin, Assistant Campus Editor

USA Today sports journalist Christine Brennan (Medill ’80, ’81) and ESPN sports journalist Michael Wilbon (Medill ’80) will join the Medill School of Journalism, Media, Integrated Marketing Communications’ new sports journalism graduate program.

The former Daily staffers will teach part-time at Medill’s Washington, D.C. newsroom.

“I see this as a continuation of being able to give back to Northwestern,” Brennan said. “Anyone who knows me knows that mentoring students is the number one thing I do in my career. There’s no place I’d rather be than Northwestern.”

Brennan and Wilbon are on Northwestern’s Board of Trustees and members of Medill’s Hall of Achievement for distinguished alumni. Wilbon also serves on Medill’s Board of Advisers.

The pair have connections to both Medill faculty and people in the journalism industry, said Medill Prof. Charles Whitaker. Whitaker is a board member of the Students Publishing Company, The Daily’s parent organization.

“We think that they’ll continue to be strong members and counselors,” Whitaker said. “They’ll help to guide us as we flesh out our curriculum and provide more opportunities.”

Brennan has started mentoring and speed-networking events for Medill students and student-athletes. She also started a summer fellowship that supports Medill students doing unpaid journalism-related internships, according to a Medill news release.

Brennan and Wilbon have long provided students with career counseling, advice on reporting and advice on launching a career in journalism, Whitaker said. He wanted to formalize the relationship Medill had with Brennan and Wilbon.

“Christine and Mike care deeply about educating and inspiring the next generation of sports journalists,” said Medill Dean Brad Hamm in the news release. “They are ideal role models for our students, and I appreciate their strong commitment to the excellence of Medill and Northwestern.”