Northwestern back on Peace Corps’ ‘Top Colleges’ list

Mariana Alfaro, Assistant Campus Editor

Northwestern is once again among the top 25 medium-sized schools that enlisted volunteers for the Peace Corps, after failing to rank on the list last year.

In 2014, 14 Northwestern students joined the Peace Corps after graduation, earning NU the 19th spot on the 2015 list, next to schools like Duke University and Northern Michigan University. NU wasn’t ranked in in 2014.

Jessica Mayle (Medill ’04), a spokeswoman for the Peace Corps in the midwest region and a former volunteer with the organization, said it is common to see application fluctuations throughout the years, but she’s glad that Northwestern is “back on the horse this year.”

“Northwestern is one of our consistent schools and we were disappointed last year that it wasn’t on the list,” Mayle told The Daily. “I don’t think there was any specific reason that it wasn’t on last year and it was this year. It was just the number of students who were serving at any given time was just a few shy last year of making the list.”

This year volunteers have more say in the countries to which they are assigned, which Mayle said could have influenced the number of 2014 volunteers.

“Right now, you can actually choose the country where you want to serve,” Mayle said. “Maybe you’re really interested in agriculture work or maybe you want to teach English in China … you can go through all of our assignments and pick the assignment that most interests you.”

The application was also shortened — it now takes one hour to complete instead of eight, Mayle said.

Mayle said the new changes will hopefully inspire more students to apply because applicants can make their Peace Corps experience more applicable to the degree they studied for.

Peace Corps volunteer Eric Cooper (Weinberg ’13), who majored in chemistry, currently works in Mozambique teaching chemistry and computers and founded a primary school that exposes young students to English, according to a Peace Corps press release.

“Northwestern, first and foremost, taught me patience and commitment,” Cooper said in the press release. “My four years at Northwestern have taught me how to continue through thick and thin, the good and the bad. Living abroad, especially with the Peace Corps, can be a tough experience that requires a level head and an open mind. After graduating from Northwestern, I was prepared to jump into a new community, culture, and environment with confidence and the determination to make a difference.”

Twitter: @marianaa_alfaro